Monday, September 04, 2006

O Little Town of Hugo

So obviously everyone already knows they are beautiful and this is an issue that only I struggle with.

Tonight I am off to a Labor Day picnic with family and friends. I am pretty excited. Life can get lonley up here in Hugo. But this little town is really making the push to become a grown-up, big town. We already have 2 signs of progress leading the way into the future: A brand new Festival Foods (with an entire section of the store devoted to gourmet and international cheeses), and a Dunn Brothers Coffee Shop (attatched, of course, to the Festival Foods-- these progress-pushers need to stick together). Of course, Hugo also has all the new town-home development (in which we live), but in order to get the the Festival (which is only about 2 miles down the road) you drive through the booming neighborhood, past the brand new middle school and hit a T in the road. At this point, your car is sitting across from the horse farm and apple orchard and miles of rolling hills. You are now officially in the country. As you drive along this country road, you will pass the typical country farms with their broken-down tractors rusting over and barns with collapsed roofs. Then, just as quickly as you got lost in the rolling hills, you immerge into the most developed part of our little town, and into the parking lot of Festival Foods.

2 comments:

erin said...

What a snarky little first line! I understand where you're coming from, friend. It's so easy to lose our real worth in our activities, activities, and plans for activities. I admire you for trying to figure it all out.
How was the picnic??

Naomi said...

I must admit I did not know what snarky meant, so before posting this reply, I had to consult my trusty online dictionary. (it means "irritable" or "testy" for those who don't know.) So now that I know what you are actually saying to me, I need to issue an apology. I admit that I allowed my opening comment to be impregnated with sarcasm. (Was that the correct use of the word "impregnated"? I am trying to compete with my writer friend who is on her way to becoming a published author. I'm rooting for ya!) Anyways, I think nearly all women can agree that the subject of beauty can sometimes be a touchy one. (perhaps a even snarky???)