Thursday, September 07, 2006

Do You Understand my Blog Name Now?

You see I am not much of a big talker. I am really a great listener though. I have been told numerous times that I am a difficult person to talk to. Let me tell you right now, I am sorry! I am a work in progress, and if you don't want to wait around to assisst in this change, check back in about 6 months or so and check out my progression. Otherwise, thanks to all my loyal friends who are willing to stick around and cure me from this ailment.
So I have concluded that either I must have extremely low brain activity, or I am just wired in such a way that when I want to talk the most (i.e. when I am with friends), I have nothing to say.

But I can't believe that my brain activity is that low, because thoughts are constantly racing through my head. I guess I just don't think most of them are important enough to say out loud. They consist of thoughts like "that dog is smelly" or "wow, it's bright out." You know, stupid unimportant thoughts that if allowed to constantly leak out of my mouth, would make me into a "blabber" rather than a "listener." Honestly, which one is better, people? A person who talks too much, or too little? I'll tell you what's better-- a happy medium. (i'm screwed)

I think I am getting better at this though. I have to a certain extent ignored my own rule and simply stated whatever is on my mind. To my surprise, most of the time this does not end in disaster. Half the time people don't closely listen to what you say anyways, so you can really get away with saying a lot of meaningless crap and they love you all the more for it. The other half of the time, the thoughts that escape my mouth are so stupid that the're funny.

Just want ya'll to know that if you ever catch me in a "quiet mood" (ya'll are probably laughing right now saying "don't you mean if we ever catch you in a talking mood?"), give me a break, I'm trying.

3 comments:

erin said...

The other night, Rich and I were talking about this exact thing (you may have noticed--you and he are a lot alike). The conversation went like this,
Richard: Quiet people usually have a lot going on in their heads and they could have a lot to say if they wanted to.
Erin: Is that so?
Richard: [Nod.]
Silence.
What I have learned, as a blabber who married a listener, is that when listeners choose to speak, I'd listen up--because it's either gonna be hilarious, or so right on that I wonder where they came from!
I think you should be proud of yourself for being such a good listener. I wish I was better.

Naomi said...

Thank you Erin. Your comment nearly brought tears to my eyes and here is why: That is one of the first times in my life that someone has complimented/encouraged me about being a listener. So again, thank you.

erin said...

We understand your blog name now, but we need another post! You said you were a quiet person--not a silent person! You're killing me here! : )