Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Mexico IIII

Last Day
By Thursday, we realized we had not even seen the beach or pools that our resort offered. We hadn't yet laid eyes on the Caribbean! So Thursday was devoted to relaxing on the beach, soaking up the sun and splashing in the pool.

Ring around the sun

After breakfast we headed straight for the beach. We found some comfy lounge chairs under a palapa (grass umbrella), right on the beach. It was wonderful to finally dig our toes into the soft, white sand. We laid in the warmth of the sun, while a cool breeze swept over our white bodies. As I lay looking up at the sky, I realized that it was so humid that there was a ring around the sun. It was actually kind of beautiful. We were also visited be an enormous iguana. It was about 2 feet from Jared's head at one point, but I couldn't get my camera out fast enough.

This huge iguana was about 2' from Jared's head
Very large iguana

After two or three hours, we went back to the room for a little break. Both of us still looked at white as the sand we were laying on, until we got into our room. Our skin slowly turned pink before our eyes. We grabbed a quick snack, then headed for the pool. We relished the coolness of the water, then found some lounge chairs and read for another hour or two.

We both felt we had gotten enough sun, and went to do a little last minute shopping. We had rescheduled our dinner reservation for a Mexican restaurant called the Tequila, at 7pm. The food was delicious, and we had a great meal of beef fajitas and marinated pork.

The special virgin cocktail the waiter made just for me.

Our waiter came and put sombreros on our heads for a picture!

Last night in Mexico!When we got back to our room that night, we looked in the mirror and both looked like fried lobsters! We packed up our bags, and eased into bed, moaning in pain. I tossed and turned all night, sore with every movement.

Our room is the lower left door you see under the palm tree. It was beautiful there.

The alarm went off at 5:30am to began our journey home, and back into Sophia's arms. Our flights went fabulously, and we even got upgraded to First Class again for one of them! When we arrived at the MSP airport, I had never been so eager to get to baggage claim. My eyes scanned the crowd, and finally rested on the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen...my little Sophia. I ran to her, and as I approached, she looked at me with curiosity. I could tell she recognized me, but that my face was unfamiliar. She couldn't stop staring at her daddy and me as we showered her with kisses and hugs. We were so happy to be home.


erin said...

You don't look red to me! You look fantastic!

Ben said...

I'll bet! I can easily see that finding Sophia in the airport was accompanied by the most intense emotions of your trip! Hearing about that reunion increases my mad desire to be united for the first time with my baby!

Cara said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time. I am officially jealous! :)

Kara Jo said...

So glad you had a great time on your trip! I've enjoyed reading all of your posts.