Thursday, November 16, 2006

The "More" Glimpse

I have been feeling lately that there is so much more to life than what I have been experiencing; more than what I have allowed myself to notice and live out. Every once in awhile I get a glimpse of the "more" that eludes me. One instance of this was the night before I left for the quilting retreat. I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, at about 11:00pm. Suddenly I remembered that my sewing machine was still in Jared's car. So I got out of my warm haven and trudged downstairs slightly agitated. I walked out the front door in my sweats and tank top and was immediatly greeted by the vast, overwhelming, astounding night sky. It stretched before me like a deep, black sea with a million brilliantly shining twinkly lights. It was beautiful and stopped me in my tracks. I stood there for a moment and just let it engulf me. My thoughts wandered to the realization that I never stop just to look at the sky. I never stop to notice much of God's creation. I keep myself busy and distracted, because when you actually stop to notice, it's humbling. And that is hard. I have a lot of pride. And I like to avoid "heart work" whenever I can, because vulnerability is scary. But it also opened my eyes and I caught that "glimpse" of a world that I live in, but know so little about. How sad it would be to die and never learn of all the wonders God has created for my pleasure. Seeing amazing sights like that always strikes my heart with a holy fear too. Just the sky alone is so enormous. Think how much bigger God is! That terrifies me and makes me feel incredibly safe at the same time. I treat my relationship with the Lord so casually, like He is my buddy. Well, true, He calls me "friend," but He is so much bigger than a "buddy." He loves me and takes better care of me than anyone, no matter how many times I push Him away, ignore Him, or just plain forget about Him. That is an amazing gift to have a Friend that consistantly loves you no matter what. And takes care of you better than you ever could.
And that is only the beginning of these glimpses.
To be continued...

1 comment:

erin said...

Good post, friend. Thank you!