Sunday, June 08, 2008

Gravy


Making gravy is my hurdle to overcome.

I just cannot do it. I have tried over and again, and have never made a satisfactory pan of gravy to date. The embarrassing part is that I have NEVER heard of anyone else complaining about the complexities of making gravy. I don't believe it is supposed to be as tricky as souffle. I don't think it is supposed to take 45 minutes. I don't think it is supposed to be runnier than the water in my glass. I don't think it is supposed to taste like flour.

Of course, like every woman, I compare my gravy to my mother's. The texture, flavor, and color all need to be just like Mom's. My conclusion: It's never gonna happen. Mother's always make the best food that cannot be duplicated. This does, however, give me a glimmer of hope that someday my food will be unrepeatable to my children.

Whatever. Mom, I need a lesson. It may take all day, and I may need to make 6 batches to even come close to getting it right, but I am ready to learn from the master. Again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know just how you feel Naomi. MY mom makes the best gravy ever! Nevertheless, I would be happy to have a gravy-day with you.

Mom

Elisabeth said...

Gravy is very hard to make and to duplicate. I completely agree. and I know I have heard my mom say she had a hard time with it.

Stick with it. If it tastes like flour, let the flour you add cook at the beginning for a little bit...then don't add more because you can cook the flour taste out at the beginning!. that's my small tip.

Anonymous said...

mmmm.... graaaaavvvvyyy! Can't wait to see you guys in a few days!

kristi said...

I can make it but it comes out lumpy sometimes!

kristi noser said...

Check it out--two Kristis in a row...
As a mom, I believe I have the gravy thang down, but even mine doesn't turn out all the time. My hint is get one of those Tupperware shaker things--they work great.

Kara Jo said...

Been married 12 years and I've never once made gravy. Seemed a daunting task as I HAVE heard my mom talk of its difficulty.

Have a fun gravy-day with your mom. Then you can let us all in on the secret!

Anonymous said...

I can't say mine comes out the same every time, but it is good! I wonder if you are over thinking it. Also I think it is harder to make gravy with leaner cuts of me. Gravy requires fat to taste good.

Keep trying. You aren't wasting much if you throw it away.

Pie crusts are the problem for me...